Defintions of Terms Used on “Set FREE From the IC”
OK for clarification up front, this is how I will be using certain terms on the blog and the definitions of them.
- Authoritarianism – Characterized by a favoring of absolute obedience to established leadership authority in an institutional church, or fellowship, as opposed to individual freedom. (In Christ) leadership which operates in this manner is totally against the scriptures.
- Church – is the assembly and gathering of believers. This is the worldwide assembly as well as the local assembly. or a more in depth definition you may click HERE
- Churchianity – defined as a usually excessive or narrowly sectarian attachment to the practices and interests of a particular church, organization, or denomination.
- Clergy – They are recognized as the formal religious leadership within a given religion. They are career professionals who have devoted their lives to running an institutional organization, and are considered the figureheads which run the organization.
- Elders – govern and direct the affairs of the church locally some have been given the gift to pastor. For a more in depth definition you may click HERE
- Hireling – According to the scripture, a hireling is a hired hand worker. Jesus calls a false shepherd who is only shepherding the flock for a wage and will abandon the sheep when the wolves come to scatter the flock. (John 10:11-13)
- The “Institutional” Church (The “IC”)– This term refers to a religious system (NOT a group of people) that operates as an organization which exists above, beyond and independent of the members who populate it. Its whole construction is heavily dependent on “programs” and “ritual” rather than relationship with Christ. It’s very survival depends on the financial assistance, and physical labor, and voluntary participation of the “laity” while the professional “clergy” class are the figure heads which run the organization. This system has structure, ideologies, practices and doctrines, many of which I will blog about here. Other synonymous terms will also be used such as “Traditional Church,” “Modern day Church,” “Babylonian Church” etc.
- Laity – The dictionary defines it as “the people of a religious faith as distinguished from its clergy” and “the mass of the people as distinguished from those of a particular profession or those specially skilled” and this blog writer could not agree more.
- Nicolaitan – I have defined how I will use this term in a blog entitled The Doctrines and Practices of the Nicolaitans but briefly, is any doctrine or practice that tries to exert control over the saints in an extra biblical manner to constrain them, either by false doctrines, and/or legalistic rules, regulations and practices.
- “Organic” Fellowship (or Church) – The bible describes the church as Christ’s LITERAL BODY. 1 Peter 2 describes the body of Christ as living stones being built up into a spiritual house that is the body. Paul in 1 Corinthians 12 has even described the people of God as the “body.” The human body is a living breathing organism where every member functions in harmony with one another in their designated roles. The body of Christ is no different. While there is no perfect scenario or model of how the Church should “look,” fellowship amongst Christians should be done in a way which does not prohibit the gifts of Christians from being exercised, and every member from functioning.
- Pyramid Hierarchy – in terms of the Institutional Church has been characterized by a ruling body of persons in authority, a clergy organized into orders or ranks each subordinate to the one above it. Each member in this hierarchy in this class is given a honorific title. Its model is for the church is based in gentile world governments, Ex: a Pastor is at the top of the leaders in a church while others are subordinate to his authority such as deacons other elders etc. This is the kind of structure Jesus EXPRESSLY prohibits in the gospels.
More terms will be added as the need arises.